Enrolling out-of-school youth (OSY) in workforce or education reengagement programs is easier said than done. OSY are particularly difficult to track.
The Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) requires that 75% of Youth Title I funding goes to OSY. If they aren’t engaged in education, how do we find them? How do we ensure they persist in education once enrolled? These are the questions being asked by workforce boards and education reengagement programs around the country.
Gateway to College has developed an Enrollment Strategic Planning Program through a federal grant from the Social Innovation Fund. We have collaborated in communities around to country to recruit and reengage OSY on education and career pathways. We help organizations meet WIOA eligibility requirements, engage OSY on career pathways, and find solutions to complicated problems.
Gateway to College works within workforce systems to create organizational action plans that increase enrollments of OSY through data-supported dropout prevention and recovery tactics. Gateway to College consultants work with workforce boards, reengagement programs, and workforce service providers to create an action plan with clear, intermediate results leading to the goal of enrolled OSY.
Gateway to College provides organizations with the following:
- Strategic planning: Using data-supported tactics, our strategic planning builds the capacity of organizations to have a lasting impact. We work with the entire team, leverage team member talents and networks, and use community resources to set achievable goals and clear steps to reach them.
- Action plan: Workforce boards require grant recipients to develop action plans that illustrate a strategy toward meeting the WIOA OSY funding model. We create action plans that clearly chart the intermediate steps and milestones toward meeting the requirements of WIOA.
- Stakeholder engagement: WIOA is designed to empower inter-agency and local business collaboration. We help organizations identify and engage key partners for successful WIOA implementation.
- Grassroots outreach: OSY are difficult to track because they are often not fully engaged in existing systems. We consult on the development of data-supported outreach strategies to find and engage OSY where they are.
- Collateral and marketing: Part of finding OSY is executing an effective marketing strategy in methods and modalities OSY and their loved ones use. Gateway to College provides collateral tailored to partnering organizations to engage OSY from where they are in the communication methods most often used.
- Search Engine Optimization and Online Recruitment: Websites are a tool that can be leveraged and bolstered through current web marketing practices to fully engage and enroll OSY. We work with organizations to develop ads and Search Engine Optimization so OSY land on the right websites.